We are all emotional beings. Our feelings fluctuate through the day, every day like a carousel. Sometimes the feelings are good, sometimes numb and then there are those times when the emotions seem to burst through our logic and take us down a path to crazy town. These emotional triggers are not often played out externally, but more like an internal combustion leading to obsessive thinking, more stress and the desire to protect, defend or get even with the person who made the offense.
EPISODE 29: UNDERSTANDING EMOTIONAL TRIGGERS IN RELATIONSHIPS
In this episode, we discuss eight (8) common ego assumptions that are playing a role in the emotional trigger and allowing it to fester in your mind and body. They are:
- Taking things personally – It is my fault or they meant to hurt me
- Polarized Thinking – Everything is black or white – no compromise
- Mind Reading – Assuming what others are thinking about you or assuming they should know what you are thinking
- Labeling a Person (or Group) based on one action – “He did this to me or to someone else, so he’s a terrible person”
- Overgeneralization – “All Men/Women are Non-Commital”
- Catastrophizing – “I will always be single” or “It will always be like this”
- Minimizing – “It isn’t so bad” – tolerating bad behavior or settling for less
- Should Statements – “I should date” or “I should be nicer” or “I should not waste money”
We give you a quick exercise to work with these assumptions to free your mind from their trappings and get clear on what is really true. Your ego will use one or a combination of these assumptions when you are triggered. Learn your go-to story and be empowered to drop the story and see the world through new eyes.
Want to change your love story? Check out Debi’s free video series “How to Reach your Full Love Potential and Find an Extraordinary Relationship” by going to attractreallove.com
Interact with us on Facebook in our Creative Love Community by clicking here